Monday, January 24, 2011

Dex Romweber Duo/Wanda Jackson Ft. The Thirdman House Band- Music Hall of Williamsburg 1.21.11

Photo by Jeff Thurau
Long time no blog folks,

So this past friday I went up to New York City to see Wanda Jackson featuring Jack White/The Thirdman House Band.  Before even knowing who the opening act was, I had tickets, cause it was going to be an awesome show.  Then I found out that the Dex Romweber Duo was going to be the opener (Thanks Littleroom!), and it was like a dream come true.

While I've seen a bunch of reviews for Wanda Jackson, and what an incredible set it was, fully deserving of attention, as a Dex Romweber fan blog, I'd provide some details of Dex's set/My adventure into New York City.

My girlfriend and I took the train into Penn Station and got there mid-afternoon, plenty of time before the doors of the Music Hall opened.  I'm horrible with directions, but luckily she woke up early and got us subway directions to the MHoW and Katz's deli, for lunch.

After our late lunch (Katz's pastrami sandwich was amazing!), we made our way over to Williamsburg and tooled around coffee shops and record stores until my friend who lives in the city got off work and we met up for dinner.  He was a bit late getting to us, and we ended up finishing our meal about 40 minutes after the doors opened for the concert.

After we rushed over (no way in hell was I missing any moment of this show), we checked our coats (I had a bad feeling about using a coat check, more on this later), and I set up my recorder and mics, to catch the show in all its glory.

Dex and Sarah came on, and it was probably one of the most on the ball times I've ever seen Dex play.  I  can't put my finger on it, but man was he on his game.  The sound was pretty balanced as well, nice and clear without being overbearingly loud.  Also, it was an opportunity to see the DRD play as a three piece (their friend Matt accompanied them for a few numbers on upright bass).  My only complaint is that the set was rather short, only about 30 minutes (Dex mentioned he drove 9.5 hours for a 30 minute set jokingly at the end).

Unfortunately, I had some recorder issues, but through some miracle, still captured a good portion of the set.  Had I known my recorder was still picking up sound, I would've kept it on for Wanda, but I shut it off in frustration.  Lesson learned, never stop recording.
Photo by Jeff Thurau

If I remember correctly the set list is as follows:
1. Mexicali Baby
2. Lookout!*
3. Brazil*
4.I Remember Darling*
5. People, Places, Things^
6. Climb down
7. Nowhere
8. The Wind Did Move
9. Grey Skies






*Was not recorded due to technical error
^Missed the first 1/4-1/3 of song due to technical error

You can download the tracks in all their glory at:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YXL9GOXE

As always, if there is a problem with sharing these recordings, please let me know and I will gladly take them down.

Please do not sell/do anything underhanded with these recordings either.

If anyone has any photos/videos/recordings of Dex they want to share, please let me know!

Edit: Initially forgot another song, the 4th song was "I Remember Darling"  thanks to Spastic.Jerk (of the Littleroom) for bringing this to my attention

No comments:

Post a Comment